Skip to main content

What the Pho rates marginally low


On Tuesday, R, the Birdkiller (yes the Birdkiller) and I went for a lunch adventure to What the Pho in the Southcenter area (close to my favorite spot, Chipotle). The big news here is that the coupon loving, freebie coveting Birdkiller PAID FOR EVERYONE'S LUNCH!

Now that you've recovered from the shock, here's the low down on Pho of Woe.

I thought the place was closed; the windows are so heavily tinted. I thought either a) this spot didn't last long or b) they were hiding something. In fact, they were hiding something, a sophisticated and well designed dining area (which are few and far between in the Southcenter area). We sat in a booth by the bar and watched three Vietnamese coffees s l o w l y dripping simultaneously (sort of the equivalent of watching paint dry).

The menu offers a wide array of options for non-pho lovers (which I am- I'm always worried about chicken feet), many sound highly delightful. The service was efficient and VERY polite(bonus point for atmosphere). The Birdkiller read his potential lunch choices off in Vietnamese and corrected R and me for mispronunciations (no, the Birdkiller does not speak Vietnamese-but he does speak the language of "I am always right").

The Birdkiller ordered some beefy pho and complained that the meat seemed old and frozen. R ordered some sad-ish veggies with noodles, and I ordered grilled chicken with noodles (and an eggroll-hey the Birdkiller was paying). My meal was pleasing to the eye, but flavorless to the tongue. I added a huge amount of chili sauce and hoisin to give my dish a touch of flavor (isn't that the cook's job). The veggies in my dish were just ok, the real offense were the cold (like straight out of a fridge) noodles. They were a little gross and very disappointing.

Next time I want noodles, I'll be going to Simply Thai for their namesake dish.

Food: 2.5/5 The chicken was nicely grilled, the rest of my dish was blah!

Atmosphere: 5/5 Maybe next time we'll get Simply Thai to go and eat it at What the Pho.

Good Times 4/5 Paying Birdkiller and a Target trip afterward always increases the score. Thanks R for driving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kilt

By the way - Kilt Guy... put some pants on, Tukwila is far, far away from the United Kingdom.

I don't want to mess up my hair

After two major disappointments today at Taco del Mar, including no Taco Queen and an inoperable credit card machine (are you kidding me, that's like running out of tacos) we ended up at Chipotle. As you know, I love Chipotle and feel that every lunch there is “burrito-ful and fajita-ful”; however, our special lunch guest Power Womon came close to a nervous breakdown due to ordering pressure. No PW, when you order a burrito, you get one burrito, not three –multiples only work with tacos or at Claim Jumpers. As always, there were several fashion disasters including jeans so tight on a Chipotle patron that it made scuba outfits look baggy. After lunch (and yogurt) we traveled to Party City (I thought the store was going green or was closed by not having the lights on, but apparently they have ultra-tinted store front windows) to purchase baby shower décor for a colleague. R swears she’s never been to a baby shower before, however she has a “sixth sense” that led her right to the baby