Skip to main content

A Fondlin' Frau

B and I visited the Pita Pit today. The scene there was the everyday usual: Frau Farbissina yelling back meat orders, line cooks scurrying around fulfilling requests, brown lettuce.

At the register, Frau asked if we'd ever been to the Pit before. How long will it take until she recognized us? I mean, really - how many times do you need to patronize a place before the people who work there recognize you?

I ordered the tuna pita because I wanted to hear Frau yell it back to the line: bringoutthe tu-NAH!, but instead, she whispered it to a passing line employee: bringoutthetuna. We should have known right then that today was going to be different.

The visit went from annoying to awkward when I went to use the restroom. Frau gave me a key to the bathroom door which was shaped more like a swizzle stick than a door key. She warned me that it sometimes gets stuck, but I figured, how hard could it be?

I pushed the stick into the hole (this is where it starts) and Frau began to shout instructions over the cash register:


You have to stick it in deeper! Deeper! That's it. Okay, push it in further. Right... now wiggle it around. Deeper! Keep pushing! You got it!!



I thought: Am I at Joey's, or the Pita Pit? Was she trying to be dirty? Probably not. But with the way this performance was headed, and everyone in line at the register now looking at me... I felt like I was on the set of "Where the Boys Aren't".

It took some poking and wiggling around (sorry), but the lock eventually gave way and let me in. When I came back out and handed the key to Frau, she grabbed my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze, and said "You did great!"

That's what she said.

Anyway.. we had to leave immediately afterwards so I could go look for my dignity.

Atmosphere: 3/5 (lose 2 points for dirty key work)
Food: 5/5
Good times: 3/5 (see Atmosphere score)


Comments

Phantom Fox said…
I can't believe I missed this interaction! Where was my mind?
M. said…
I can't believe I missed this entry either! You better trademark your entries. I see a future sit-com out of this blog material. And I can NOT believe I've been reading your blog for a year now. Sheesh! You remain in my favorites. Now, are we faithful readers going to get the T2 take on Tukwila patio lunches this summer? Racha, Billy Baroo's, Galliano's, Duke's, all have outdoor dining. Hey after all - nothing says summer like the fragrance of food and sunscreen. We'll get some great pic's out of it too. I can already see incognito T2 crew w/ shades on and menus in front of their faces. In other news I'm on my way to Blue C now I'll tell them Tummy Tukwila sent me. Cheers,

Popular posts from this blog

Kilt

By the way - Kilt Guy... put some pants on, Tukwila is far, far away from the United Kingdom.

I don't want to mess up my hair

After two major disappointments today at Taco del Mar, including no Taco Queen and an inoperable credit card machine (are you kidding me, that's like running out of tacos) we ended up at Chipotle. As you know, I love Chipotle and feel that every lunch there is “burrito-ful and fajita-ful”; however, our special lunch guest Power Womon came close to a nervous breakdown due to ordering pressure. No PW, when you order a burrito, you get one burrito, not three –multiples only work with tacos or at Claim Jumpers. As always, there were several fashion disasters including jeans so tight on a Chipotle patron that it made scuba outfits look baggy. After lunch (and yogurt) we traveled to Party City (I thought the store was going green or was closed by not having the lights on, but apparently they have ultra-tinted store front windows) to purchase baby shower décor for a colleague. R swears she’s never been to a baby shower before, however she has a “sixth sense” that led her right to the baby