Skip to main content

Hot Dogs and Angels

Today, J and B are out of the office, so for lunch my choices were to:
A. go to Taco Del Mar (always a good choice)
B. eat a noodle soup at my desk, or
C. go to the top of the employee parking garage where there is a summer event in progress - watch the Blue Angels and laugh at the people participating in the Hot Dog Eating Contest.

I chose B. and C.


Option B is considered the "Loneliest Lesbian Lunch" or what J and I refer to as - the LL Lunch. An LL Lunch is had alone at one's desk, eating a meal that requires either to be reheated, rehydrated, or microwaved (sometimes all 3). Think of it this way - if your lunch requires you to puncture 4 - 5 holes, or pull back the corner for ventilation, you're probably having an LL Lunch. While it's thrifty, it is the loneliest kind of lunch you can have. My noodle soup was good, but not very satiating, so I'm still hungry - although, not hungry enough to eat a hot dog.

Speaking of hot dogs - I'm sure that when I mentioned Option C., it sounded strange, but yes - my place of employment decided to have a weenie roast on the top level of the parking garage. Like anyone here needs a reason to eat fatty foods - looking around this place, many could have benefited from a carrot and celery roast, accompanied by a relay race around the Hummers and F150s parked up there. And to make matters worse, the roast included a hot dog eating contest. Well, there you go.


To my surprise, there were plenty of people who had turned out to watch the event. These people in the hot dog hats (right) where volunteers running orders. Where do you even get a hat like that? To think that some of these people need to be taken seriously after all of this - I mean, how can you take your manager seriously after they were seen wearing a hat like that?


Speaking of shock - when it came time for the hot dog eating contest, I was shocked that not one woman entered. Instead - it was four average guys. None was of an impressive size, none was a total slob once the contest began (I expected to see ketchup drizziling all over their dress shirts), and none of them ate more than 5 hotdogs. But here are some pictures anyway.


One benefit to being up there was a "view" of the Blue Angels who were practicing for their SeaFair show this Saturday. I say "view" here because your chance of a jet flying directly above your head way out here in Tukwila is pretty slim. Usually, you just see them flying along the horizon, far, far away (see that dot under the arrow?). Although I L-O-V-E the Blue Angels, I wasn't there for them, I was there to see who would make a show of it at the hot dog eating contest. And altough it was an overall dissapointment, at least part of my LL Lunch was away from my desk, and into the fresh air of Tukwila.


Destello's rating
Food 3/5 (note that my LL Lunch rates higher than Racha)
Good times 1/5

Comments

thecobrasnose said…
I've been eating LL Lunches for years--should I start paying fees to One Voice or something?

Popular posts from this blog

Kilt

By the way - Kilt Guy... put some pants on, Tukwila is far, far away from the United Kingdom.

I don't want to mess up my hair

After two major disappointments today at Taco del Mar, including no Taco Queen and an inoperable credit card machine (are you kidding me, that's like running out of tacos) we ended up at Chipotle. As you know, I love Chipotle and feel that every lunch there is “burrito-ful and fajita-ful”; however, our special lunch guest Power Womon came close to a nervous breakdown due to ordering pressure. No PW, when you order a burrito, you get one burrito, not three –multiples only work with tacos or at Claim Jumpers. As always, there were several fashion disasters including jeans so tight on a Chipotle patron that it made scuba outfits look baggy. After lunch (and yogurt) we traveled to Party City (I thought the store was going green or was closed by not having the lights on, but apparently they have ultra-tinted store front windows) to purchase baby shower décor for a colleague. R swears she’s never been to a baby shower before, however she has a “sixth sense” that led her right to the baby