Skip to main content

Yeast and Yogurt

R and I had a highly memorable lunch today, not only because we visited Taco del Mar (I know, we’re stuck in a rut) for fish tacos, but more so for our lunch guest. New J or as I’ll call him, “the Birdman” joined us and provided significant levels of both entertainment and disbelief. Interesting tidbits:

1) We were driven to lunch in a 10 year old Audi A4 owned by Birdman that is frequently referred to by him as a “premium luxury sports car for young aggressive males”. The ride was not premium, luxury or aggressive—so much so that a colleague diving a 20 year old Mazda Protégé (with no brake lights) smoked us.

2) There’s a new Taco Queen in town, who I believe could win an extreme fighting match (against the men). She’s not messing around, so I highly recommend knowing your order in advance, speaking clearly and moving on to the next station in a quick and orderly fashion. Only make direct eye contact as a last resort.

3) The plates at TDM are apparently defective and do not work right according to the Birdman. What that means, I’m not sure. R, any ideas?

4) After TDM we visited ceFiore for delicious topping-included yogurt. The Birdman proceeded to read out the benefits of yogurt (from a poster on the wall of the shop) including that yogurt protects against yeast infections. Who knew?

So, as you can imagine, lunch was both awkward and entertaining. It’s sort of like watching a make-out scene on TV with your parents. Birdman will be a first time parent next month; I imagine lunches with him will get more bizarre as time goes on.

Fish tacos 4.5/5
ceFiore Yogurt 5/5
Personal hygiene lesson at ceFiore 1/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Jack Shack

We've all been either too busy or too lazy to write about our lunchtime adventures, but know this - we have had lunches - some were fabulous, others were sadly disappointing (Mali Thai) and at least one was down-right scandalous (Joey's). So to make up for the long absence, I'll thrill you with our adventure to: Joeys (their apostrophe is missing, not mine)... Even though I was warned , I had to see it for myself. Joey's is Cowboy Ugly and the Pussy Cat Dolls Lounge all rolled into one, great-big southend jack shack. To get the full effect, we sat in the bar where all the waitresses are 1. Former female strippers, 2. Current female strippers, and 3. Really know how to sex up an entree so you'll want to buy it. At first, I was overcome with the smart, sleek interior design. I felt like I was at The Parker in Palm Springs . The architecture is open and modern, the colors hip, and the booths are sleek. I was so busy ogling the fabulous design that I didn't even s...

Teavana Some Tea?

After a Blue C anomaly (no Dede) and some Red Mango with cereal (the strawberries looked pureed) , J, R and B headed to the first floor of South Center to check out the new Teavana store. B received a gift card to Teavana for Christmas, and wanted to check out the tea possibilities. As soon as we stepped into Teavana, the tea vultures were instantly upon us with syrupy samples of teas like: Moonlight Mango Magic and Coco-Berry Cantaloupe Blend---huh? J and B tried to avoid direct eye contact and focused on the tasteful and tacky tea accoutrements (some tasteful, many tacky) To B's surprise, R seems to be really enjoying the tea experience, to the point of befriending the peppy personnel who looked as if they had indulged in too much caffeine and sugar. And I mean way too much caffeine and sugar. What did they put in R's “sample”?? R made a tea purchase (a blend of two teas no less—fancy pants) and we attempted to leave the store only to be foiled by the sample machine. Makes me...