Skip to main content

Southcenter Mall Finally Reopens

It's official - today, Westfield Shopping Center is celebrating their grand re-opening.

To the hordes of crowds blocking up the parking lot, food court, and the H&M store, this must be the hottest thing that's hit this area since the Rainforest Cafe opening back in 1999. It was so exciting, in fact that someone had a heart-attack in the middle of H&M.

So what in name of love would cause the three of us to trudge through a sea of South-enders during such a grand event? Blue C Sushi. Its got a funky, Tokyo-inspired interior, and ridiculously deeelish sushi.

It used to be, if you wanted sushi, your choices were limited to Sushi(ghetto)land and Myabi. Both are sub-par, and both might give you E. coli with their warm, grade B tuna. And with food options getting really old out here, the idea of a favorite downtown restaurant opening near our offices was... well let's just say that none of us scheduled meetings close to, or after our lunchtime.

My favorite dish at Blue C is the Seared Tuna with garlic sauce. It's fresh, cold, garlicky, and as Blayne from Project Runway would say - liscious. Besides the seared tuna, Spicy Tuna Roll and Sesame Noodles run a close second. I could eat my weight in sushi there...

Sushi is sacred. Blue C is a temple. Thank God, something worth eating in the south-end.

Destello's ratings:
Lunch 4/5
Bubble tea 2/5
Good times 4/5 (lower score due to a deceitful bubble tea - see J's blog above)







Comments

JTContinental said…
Hey, it's Margaret Bourke-White!

Popular posts from this blog

The Jack Shack

We've all been either too busy or too lazy to write about our lunchtime adventures, but know this - we have had lunches - some were fabulous, others were sadly disappointing (Mali Thai) and at least one was down-right scandalous (Joey's). So to make up for the long absence, I'll thrill you with our adventure to: Joeys (their apostrophe is missing, not mine)... Even though I was warned , I had to see it for myself. Joey's is Cowboy Ugly and the Pussy Cat Dolls Lounge all rolled into one, great-big southend jack shack. To get the full effect, we sat in the bar where all the waitresses are 1. Former female strippers, 2. Current female strippers, and 3. Really know how to sex up an entree so you'll want to buy it. At first, I was overcome with the smart, sleek interior design. I felt like I was at The Parker in Palm Springs . The architecture is open and modern, the colors hip, and the booths are sleek. I was so busy ogling the fabulous design that I didn't even s...

Teavana Some Tea?

After a Blue C anomaly (no Dede) and some Red Mango with cereal (the strawberries looked pureed) , J, R and B headed to the first floor of South Center to check out the new Teavana store. B received a gift card to Teavana for Christmas, and wanted to check out the tea possibilities. As soon as we stepped into Teavana, the tea vultures were instantly upon us with syrupy samples of teas like: Moonlight Mango Magic and Coco-Berry Cantaloupe Blend---huh? J and B tried to avoid direct eye contact and focused on the tasteful and tacky tea accoutrements (some tasteful, many tacky) To B's surprise, R seems to be really enjoying the tea experience, to the point of befriending the peppy personnel who looked as if they had indulged in too much caffeine and sugar. And I mean way too much caffeine and sugar. What did they put in R's “sample”?? R made a tea purchase (a blend of two teas no less—fancy pants) and we attempted to leave the store only to be foiled by the sample machine. Makes me...